THE CLOTHES SHOW PROJECT

Last semester, I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to design a stage for The Clothes Show in Birmingham. We were given the topic of 'Discovery' which was an interesting one. We wanted something different, so we began looking into the discovery of cells. This lead us to looking at things under a microscope.
(Image Credit: The Clothes Show)

We were given the topic of ‘Discovery’ which was an interesting one. We wanted something different, so we researching. We came up with a series of ideas:

1. Neon Jungle
  2. Robotics
  3. Cells/ Scientific discoveries

Our first idea was the Neon Jungle. We took this from the neon strip lighting of the promotional image for The Clothes Show 2016 (see image above).

Take a look at my pinterest board for inspiration:

The second topic was Robotics as it is said to be a major trend later this year. It focuses on metallics and structured forms. We were inspired by the bold silver croc print trousers on the model on the promotional image.

Here’s my pinterest board for inspiration:

Our final idea was scientific discoveries, specifically the discovery of cells. This lead us to looking at things under a microscope.

Take a look at my Pinterest board below for inspo!

This was our preferred idea as we thought we could create a bold, eye catching installation piece.

Below is our concept board. We have focused on the natural shapes involved in cells and how they link to fashion.

(Credit: Devon Cawkwell)

After many group meetings, we decided to focus on the idea of petri dishes. We thought it would be cool to use a huge collection of dishes (including ones at a very large scale) along the back wall and front of the stage.

We thought about using draped organza fabric over the left hand wall which would replicate the flowing forms of the top right image on the concept board.

We then created a scale model of this design to see how it would work:

img_6629
(Image Credit: Anna Richards and Jason Livingstone)

I was in charge of creating the vectorworks visuals. The draped organza was by far the most challenging part of the visualisation.

screen-shot-2017-02-10-at-13-36-58
(Image Credit: My work)

We then pitched our idea to Frances Lawler, a member of the Clothes Show team. She was very pleased with our stage design. We were awarded as runners up, which I am very proud of!

This was a very creative project, but very stressful! (everything was done in 2 weeks!) Let me know what you think below ↓

Thanks for reading,

Eve x

Advertisements

15 Comments Add yours

1. Alex says:

Obsessed with your boards and completed concept. The colors are so complimented by the complex textures and minimalism of the overall design. LOVE.

-Alex
    onecriticalbitch.com

Liked by 1 person

1. Eve Morgan says:

Thank you Alex. We were pretty proud with the overall look of the stage.

2. Freya says:

I absolutely love your ideas here, especially the scientific one! Love the creativity and colours, I don’t know how you created the whole project in just too weeks. Really cool 🙂
    Freya – freyasnook.blogspot.com

Liked by 1 person

1. Eve Morgan says:

Thank you, it was a close call between the scientific approach and Robotics. It was a struggle but I was working with 4 people which helped the workload! x

3. Mo says:

Your ideas are great! I’m not particularly artistic or creative and I love seeing what other people come up so I can adapt ideas for my house. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Eve Morgan says:

Thank you Mo! If you ever need an interior designer, you know where I am haha!

4. Emily says:

What a nifty idea for a fashion show space! I work in a natural history museum, so anything science-related gives me all the feels! You did such a great job on translating your inspo board to the model!

xx
    Emily
    emilyhallock.blogspot.com

Liked by 1 person

1. Eve Morgan says:

Thank you Emily. That’s such an interesting job! I love going to Museums and galleries. x

5. pinkiebag says:

Wow being part of the Clothes Show what an amazing opportunity, Chloe #TeacupClub

Liked by 1 person

1. Eve Morgan says:

It was a fantastic opportunity. It was a bit disappointing not to win, but to be runners up is still a great achievement.

Liked by 1 person

1. pinkiebag says:

It sure is 😊

Liked by 1 person

6. That’s all so cool, what an amazing opportunity! Sliiiightly obsessed with your Pinterest boards too!

Liked by 1 person

1. Eve Morgan says:

It was a great project, really different to what I normally do. Thank you! I’m a bit obsessed with Pinterest!

Liked by 1 person

7. I love your ideas here! The colours look great together :)! Plus I love your mood boards! Great post lovely!

L xo