Working With Grand Designs Live!

Earlier this year, my work was spotted at my graduate show, New Designers. I got an email asking me to design a mood board for a room set for the Grand Designs Live exhibition in Birmingham!

I couldn’t contain my excitement!

The brief was to design a room set around a TV programme. Those of you who know me, know how much I love Sherlock. So, I decided to create a living room that reflects the show. One thing I really wanted to portray was the mixture of old and new, to reflect the Victorian detective in the 21st Century setting.

Sherlock roomset board final flattened.jpg
(Credit: My own image)

The colours in this design are quite daring, but I really wanted to push myself. I decided to use mustard yellow as it is such an on trend colour at the moment and it’s a colour I don’t normally use. Another huge trend at the moment is velvet, I really wanted to use a purple velvet sofa within my scheme to add luxury and drama.

My next step was to source all my products before the show started…

The Exhibition:

On Monday 9th and Tuesday 10th October, I headed up to the NEC with my Dad to put my room set together!

Here’s how the room looked when we got there:

IMG_0180
Credit: My own photo)

Day 1: Our first step was to get the wallpaper up and paint the other walls. Huge credit to Dad for making a chimney breast and fireplace for me! We also put the flooring down which completely changed the feel of the space.

IMG_0200
(Credit: My own photo)

Day 2: This was a very chaotic day! The electricians put the ceiling light in for me. We brought all the furniture in and put everything in place, which took much longer than we had planned. The styling was quite fun though.

IMG_0219
(Credit: My own image)

And here is the finished room:

IMG_0236.JPG
(Credit: My own image)
IMG_0249.jpg
(Credit: My own image)
IMG_0234
(Credit: My own image)
IMG_0243.jpg
(Credit: My own image)
IMG_0247.jpg
(Credit: My own image)

Overall, I’m really pleased with how this room set came together. I think it definitely makes a bold statement and portrays my mood board nicely. I definitely think it puts a quirky twist on Sherlock but still managed to reflect the show.

List of suppliers:

On Thursday, Great Interior Design Challenge judges Daniel Hopwood and Sophie Robinson, viewed all 6 room sets. They are so lovely and were very interested in my room set. Myself, and the other 5 designers then had to go on stage with Daniel and Sophie to talk about our inspiration. It was a very daunting experience but it definitely helped my confidence.

22497262_1665367526826939_1817912484_o
(Credit: My own image)
22496951_1665367193493639_588177426_o
(Credit: My own image)

Please let me know what you think of this room design in the comments. If you are going to the show, please cast a vote for me, it would mean a lot.

Join Swagbucks!
You Can Get Free Gift Cards For Shopping, Searching and Discovering What’s Online at Swagbucks.com

See you again soon,

Eve x

Advertisements

13 Comments Add yours

1. Emma-Jayne Molley says:

Love the colour scheme! Would definately have this as my front room!

2. Alex Campell says:

Looks amazing, love the colours.

3. Eva says:

Ohhhhh that room design is lovely! I would never have thought of putting those colours together, especially for interiors, but it really works!

4. Tori says:

Such a beautiful design and colour scheme! I definitely wouldn’t mind if that was my living room🖤
    -Tori xx

5. Corinne and Kirsty says:

This is such a great experience you had! Your room set looks so beautiful! I love it! xx corinne

6. A Cup of Wonderland says:

Wow this is absolutely amazing! Loved your moodboard and how it compared to the finished design! Absolutely amazing and I hope you win! Beautiful!

7. andthenzen says:

Oh my god, this is crazy?! I love the room you created, and that sofa is to die for.. 😍 I’m absolutely obsessed with Sherlock, which probably helps! 🙊

8. girlingamba says:

I love love love this interior! It looks very cozy and perfect for staying inside with a nice book! I can definitely see the Victorian detective inspiration!

-GG

9. Tara says:

This sounds like such a fab experience and the room looked great!! Massive congrats lovely!
    Tara x

10. Alice says:

Wow! This is amazing. I study Art and Design having this happen would be a dream come true!! The room was gorgeous- loved the wall paper Xx

11. Ciara says:

This is so cool! Love the purples in there and that wallpaper is gorgeous!

Ciara | http://www.teatimewithciara.com

12. Well done girl the space looks great!